Your Number

Sunday, July 10, 2011

All those idiots slamming Argentina's Lionel Messi are being unfair - Diego Maradona

The former head coach of the South American giants has taken the time to defend the Barcelona ace in the wake of their disappointing results in the Copa America so far


Argentina legend Diego Maradona has moved to defend star player Lionel Messi in the aftermath of the South American country's disappointing performances at the 2011 Copa America.

Sergio Batista's men currently sit third in the table in Group A with two points from two games after draws against Bolivia and Colombia with Messi unable to replicate his fine Barcelona form for the national side.

"In the saddest moment of my life, I want to defend Messi," Maradona told Ole as he referred to the deteriorating health of his mother.

"The national team didn’t attack at all [against Colombia] and we blame him; we are being very unfair to Messi when I hear all those idiots slamming him."



The 50-year-old then spoke about his own form ahead of the 1986 World Cup and how he received his fair share of criticism before leading his side to victory over West Germany in the final.

"I spoke to him during the week and I told him to remain calm. Before the 1986 World Cup I was a disaster and I was criticised by 80 per cent of the journalists [in Argentina]. Later, there wasn’t one who didn’t ask me for a story, so I can understand what’s going on."

No comments:

Post a Comment