Your Number

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Arsenal's Thomas Vermaelen determined to prove his worth this season

Belgian centre-back is hoping to make up for lost time after injury and is looking forward to club's pre-season tour of Asia as he looks forward to making his return


is determined to prove his worth to Arsenal after a long-term tendon injury, and is desperate to get back onto the field and make up for lost time.

The Belgian had a fantastic debut season at the heart of The Gunners' defence in 2009-10, making 45 appearances and scoring eight goals.

He was on track to continue his great form, but a tendon issue sidelined him for much of last season, making just five appearances and only two starts.

The 25-year-old is back in training at the London Colney base and told Arsenal.com: "I am really excited, especially after last year, I want to prove myself again and show the people what I'm able to do."

He continued: "Personally yes, of course I am more determined, I played a lot of games in my first year and I hoped to do well in my second year but unfortunately I had a big injury and I couldn't play a lot so I couldn't show the people a lot. I'm determined to go on the pitch this year and fight for it."

Vermaelen is on the squad list for the Emirates side's pre-season tour of Asia and is looking forward to the trip to the Far East. "I have been to China once, for the Olympic Games, and that was a nice experience," he said.

"It's a different culture and it's always nice to go somewhere and learn about their culture. I'm looking forward to it. I've heard the Premier League is very popular and Arsenal is popular too, and that's why we are going."

No comments:

Post a Comment