Your Number

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Liverpool's Stewart Downing not paying attention to 20m pound price tag

The England winger insists performances on the pitch and not transfer fees will define him at Anfield and reveals the new-found ambition at the club by targeting a title win.
Stewart Downing has dismissed his 20 million pound price tag and maintains that his performances on the pitch will make or break him as a Liverpool player.

Downing moved to Anfield along with Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam this summer as Kenny Dalglish looks to build a side capable of regaining a top-four finish.

"It's about picking up where I finished off last season with Aston Villa, carrying on my form and not doing anything differently," he told reporters. "Just because of the fee, it doesn't mean I have to change.

"I'm being brought in to do what I did at Aston Villa, whether that's on the left or right. I'm not sure where the manager sees me playing but I just want to do well for Liverpool. Last season was probably my most consistent season and I just want that to continue. It's a big season for me personally and the club, and I want to get in the England team as well. Hopefully Liverpool will see the best of me."

Liverpool's aim is to once again compete in the Champions League, but Downing believes that the club could eventually be aiming even higher.

"This club has high expectations and it's a club that deserves to be in Europe," he said. "In the past they've have done very well and I'm sure the players and the manager will want to do well for the owners and get into that top bracket.

"I think we've certainly got the squad now, there's a lot competition for places in a way there maybe hasn't been in the past, so I think it's got to be an aim.

"In the long term the ambition would be to win the league, it doesn't happen overnight, it's a building process and hopefully we've started it with the players Kenny's brought in this summer, along with the top players he already had.

No comments:

Post a Comment